The Displex is a versatile closed cycle cryostat package from Advanced Research Systems Inc. that has many applications in ultra-high vacuum research. The system typically includes a compressor, hoses, DE-202AB expander, temperature controller / sensor and heater instrumentation. It is fully compatible with UHV Design’s ‘XY31-’ series of XYZ Multi-Stage manipulators, and can be used to accomplish +/- 18.8 mm X/Y motion (+/-26.5 mm of vectorial motion), up to 1 m of Z motion and 10 K base temperatures.
Alternatively the DE-202NB is a modifi ed version that achieves a 6.5 K bottom out temperature and higher capacity at 10 K. There are also higher speed versions for faster cool-down times, viz DE202AB(T) – contact the factory for full details. The Displex Cryostats have some unique design features giving significant performance benefits which include:
• 10 K to 350 K operation or 6.5 K to 350 K and (Options for 450 K and 800 K heating).
• Iron - doped gold (0.07% atomic wt. Iron) Chromel thermocouple temperature sensors, silicon diodes, or other sensors available upon request.
• Metallized thermofoil heater for long heater life - 36 W, 36 V resistance heater.
• UHV construction and instrumentation wiring.
• Bakeable to 200°C with displacer removed (400°C without instrumentation).
• Vacuum Level 1E-11 Torr.
• Operates in any position.
• The Displex is a Pneumatic Drive cryo-cooler with no mechanical drive components such as cams, push rods, and poppet valves. The motor is axial which further reduces the vibrations in the horizontal plane. The vibrations at the tip are lower than the pulse tube cryo-coolers, and lower by a factor of 4 than mechanical drive GM Cryo-coolers. Vibrations at the sample are the
lowest in the class at :
+/- 15 Microns - Z
+/- 5 Microns - X and Y
• Only two moving parts, easily maintained in the field without breaking vacuum.
• Requires only electricity and cooling water for operation.
|General Specification (without options)|
|Temperature range||10 to 350 kelvin||6.5 to 350 kelvin|
|Refrigeration capacity (without attachments)||20 k||2.0 W @ 50 Hz||8 k||0.4 W @ 50 Hz|
|0.5 W @ 60 Hz|
|10 k||0.8 W @ 50 Hz|
|2.5 W @ 60 Hz||1 W @ 60 Hz|
|20 k||2 W @ 60 Hz|
|2.5 W @ 60 Hz|
|Cooldown time to 20 Kelvins||
60 Hz - 50 minutes
50 Hz - 60 minutes
60 Hz - 65 minutes
50 Hz - 75 minutes
|Lines||3 m (10ft) flexible stainless steel lines as standard|
|Power requirements||208/230 V, 50/60 Hz, 1.7 kW typical Other voltages available upon request|
|Weights||System - 91Kg (200 lb) Compressor 80 Kg (165 lb) Expander - 7Kg (16 lb)|