Department: Operations Team.
Overall Function: To assemble, inspect and test precision high vacuum scientific equipment within a cleanroom environment. This role also requires a degree of travel to provide field service support. Good communication with both engineering and operations departments are essential and the successful candidate will be expected to support process and quality improvements across production and test areas.
Confidential Information: All client, company and product information.
Position’s Persona: Professional, positive, communicative, proactive, punctual, accurate, driven, tenacious, conscientious and with a great attention to detail.
The role demands a methodical individual with excellent attention to detail and the ability to pro-actively ensure internal and external orders are assembled correctly and on time according to the production plan.
The role requires considerable manual skill and dexterity to be able to build small and delicate assemblies, in a clean room environment.
This position also requires an individual with considerable analytical thinking capability to be able to understand the correct functioning of complex mechanical and electro-mechanical instruments, and speedily diagnose errors in their correct functioning. Where the issues are not obvious, you will need to have the ability to create tests and test rigs in order to prove or disprove a hypothesis to resolve the problem speedily.
The role may require a degree of international travel to provide field service for our instruments in user facilities and where the requirement for the above skill sets will be even more important. Furthermore, when on-site considerable diplomacy may be required to handle customers who may well be frustrated by a delay caused by the need for a service activity.
Responsibilities – General
- The assembly of high-technology scientific instruments using detailed drawings, and 3D model viewing software.
- The testing of completed components to ensure they meet the specified performance, which will include
'bake out' and leak checking of ultra-high vacuum (UHV) products, plus full functional testing.
- The packing of sensitive and fragile instruments within suitable containers to ensure their safe transportation.
- Occasional assisting with the physical kitting of components for UHV instruments when required.
- Assist in perpetual & annual audits to group accounting regulations when required.
- Assist in training existing & new employees.
- Attend customer sites, UK and abroad, to complete any servicing, commissioning and/or repair of equipment.
- To carry out additional duties as may be required by the Company.
- Cleaning of required items as per the UHV Design cleaning process to the specified standard.
Required skills, qualifications and experience
- Qualification - HNC/HND level as a minimum, degree and / or equivalent experience in a science or engineering field.
- A good basic grounding in physics and mechanical engineer concepts is essential.
- High or ultra-high vacuum equipment experience, either in assembly, test or other ‘hands-on’ function would be a considerable advantage, although full training will be provided.
- Precision instrument assembly experience.
- Experience of test and inspection within a precision manufacturing environment.
- An awareness and understanding of LEAN manufacturing principles would be an advantage.
To apply for this role please send your CV to email@example.com or call 01323 811188 if you have any questions.