Assembly and Test Engineer
Assembly and Test engineer
UHV Design specialise in the design, manufacture, and supply of innovative market leading high vacuum (HV) and ultra-high vacuum (UHV) motion and heating products. We are fortunate to have an internal design team, a fully equipped machine shop and cleanroom enabling us to own the entire exciting process of development and prototyping through to production.
Our products are used in a diverse range of applications, primarily in thin film deposition, surface science analysis and beam lines. Due to continued growth, we are looking to expand our assembly and test team and are currently recruiting for an assembly and test engineer to join us in Laughton near Lewes in East Sussex.
This role is a key position primarily assembling and testing our current range of manipulators and other devices in our cleanroom, whilst also providing technical support for projects which will include researching available data to answer queries whilst creating and running experiments where data is not available.
You will ideally be a strong self-starter, experienced in a precision engineering or manufacturing field, with a good hands-on understanding of product development, assembly and test.
The successful candidate will also require a high standard of communication and organisation, including writing reports, draft procedures where required and presenting some findings to a wider audience of varied understanding.
Your main responsibilities as an assembly and test engineer will include:
- The assembly and testing of scientific instruments in a cleanroom environment, this will include some NPI and development requirements and proving of concepts.
- The characterisation of existing and new devices, this will include collecting data to assist in identifying where products in our current portfolio could be improved.
- The inspection of customer returns from the field.
- Supporting the assembly team to assist with questions of a technical or scientific nature.
- Supporting the engineering and assembly department during product design and development phases.
- The occasional assembly and test of R&D products, providing feedback on initial builds or developments.
- Communicating with the engineering department to give feedback on research and suggest design changes to ensure performance and / or key characteristics are achieved.
Desired Skills / Attributes:
- Minimum HNC qualified in an engineering related field.
- Practical experience of assembling mechanical / electromechanical devices, experiments, jigs, fixtures, and laboratory equipment in a safe manner.
- Resolve problems by identifying and selecting solutions based on experience and precedents.
- Experienced in operating a HV / UHV vacuum system would be an advantage.
- Good analytical skills, as well as evaluative judgement based on the analysis of data collected alongside theoretical understanding and research in complex situations.
- Able to read and understand engineering drawings and designs fluently.
- Experience with basic electronics and software for test automation would also be helpful.
- Experience of writing test procedures, engineering specifications and progress reports.
If you have some of these skills, are missing others but have the drive and enthusiasm to learn then please don't hold back from applying, if you're not successful this time around there are likely to be other career opportunities in future at UHV.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £30,000.00-£38,000.00 per year
- On-site parking
- Sick pay
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Lewes BN8 6BN: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Mechanical assembly: 2 years (required)
Work Location: In person
For more information or to apply for this position, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org