Mechanical Design Engineer
The Design Engineer role demands an energetic, professional, smart and eloquent person with a driven approach to work. The work involves the design in Solid Works of complex mechanisms required to perform faultlessly in the demanding world of Ultra High Vacuum (UHV). Many of these mechanisms will include a degree of automation. A significant percentage of the work involves development of new or customised products and therefore the Design Engineer must have the proven ability to ‘think on their feet’ whilst having the discipline to adhere stringently to the requirements imposed on design by the UHV environment. The Design Engineer will require a comprehensive knowledge of detailing drawings, including both dimensional and geometric tolerances.
Tasks will include:
- Conceptual design in Solid Works including table driven parts and assemblies.
- Detailing of designs from 3D models to 2D drawings.
- Adhering to design office procedures for drawings and data management for MRP system.
- Liaising with customers and suppliers.
- Occasional on-site installation of products both domestically and around the world.
- Domestic and overseas travel to support sales activities and or to support customers.
- Supporting production in assembly and test with bespoke/customer special products.
- Lab based development including testing, assembly and characterising of new developed electro-mechanical products.
- New Product Introduction, working closely with production in all areas especially assembly and test to bring new products into routine production.
Key Skills & Experience: The following attributes are essential to this task: -
- Driven / highly motivated.
- Degree level, HND/HNC or equivalent qualification in mechanical engineering.
- Mechanical design engineer, with relevant industry experience.
- Solid Works experience.
- Solid Works PDM or equivalent data management system experience.
- Solid Works sheet metal experience.
- A good grounding in physics.
- Practical experience in mechanical design, including basic knowledge of electronics.
- Fundamental understanding of mechanisms and automation including motors and pneumatics.
- Fundamental understanding of material properties and their applications.
- Ability to think creatively and laterally about technical problems to provide an innovative solution.
- High level of commercial awareness to ensure competitive, cost-effective designs.
- Excellent technical English skills, both written and verbal.
- FEA analysis.
- FMEA, DFM and DFA.
- An understanding of LEAN principles.
- This position requires you to possess a current valid driving licence, and passport.
The Job is located at our site in Laughton, surrounded by the Sussex countryside, therefore you will need a driving licence and your own transport.
The hours for this role are 40 per week.
We operate a company share scheme and pension scheme for successful applicants after a probationary period along with 25 days holiday and a positive, supportive working environment.
Your first interview will be a virtual one via Teams / Skype and so you must have access to a suitable device with audio / video capability.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £30,000.00-£40,000.00 per year
• Day shift
• Monday to Friday
COVID-19 considerations: All staff are required to wear masks when moving around the business, we have also implemented increased hygiene guidelines with additional sanitising stations / screens etc and all staff in the business who are able to work from home are doing so.
If you are interested in this position, please send your CV by email to email@example.com.